Peer-to-Peer Renting: Embrace the Adventure
There’s a new shift in today’s rental market. It’s a new culture based on peer-to-peer (P2P) sharing.
A ‘sharing economy’ or ‘collaborative consumption’ is a popular economic model that is transforming the rental market.
- Renters save money; owners make money; and properties beat standard hotels and rental agency locations.
- It’s the same economic principle based on Uber.
- The peer-to-peer rental market is valued at around $26 billion.
It all began with Couchsurfing.
- Couchsurfing: 2004
The first of it’s kind. It allowed travelers to stay with locals & meet other travelers (all for minimal costs). Today it connects 10 million people in 200,000+ cities.
- HomeAway: 2005
- Rent Like a Champion: 2006
- Airbnb: 2008
- Flipkey: 2008
- One Fine Stay: 2009
Top 5 Peer-to-Peer Travel Marketplaces
- Airbnb; net worth: $25.5 billion; countries: 190; cities & towns: 34,000+; listings: 2+ million; active users: 60 million
- Rent Like a Champion: net worth: growing 50% year/year; countries: U.S.; cities & towns: 25; listings: 2,400; active users: 40,000+
- HomeAway: net worth: $3 billion; countries: 190; cities & towns: not listed; listings: 1+million; active users: 32 million
- FlipKey: net worth: not listed; countries: 179+; cities &towns: 11,000+; listings: 300,000+; active users: 60 million
- OneFineStay: net worth: not listed; countries: U.S., France, England, Italy; cities & towns: 5; listings: 2,600; active users: not listed
Standard Hotel Rates vs. Airbnb
• Airbnb average cost per night: $80
• Average hotel room cost per night: $137
Did you know?
• Airbnb is the world’s 3rd most valuable privately held startup.
• TripAdvisor owns FlipKey.
• Rent Like a Champion is geared towards college football fans, needing a place to rent during game weekends.
Homeowners can make great part-time money
- 54% of HomeAway owners are able to pay off at least ¾ of their mortgage by renting their property.
- Rent Like a Champion hosts make an average of $1,100 per weekend.
Airbnb hosts make an average of $7,350 each year from temporarily renting out their property.
It’s all about location. The more popular the city, the more you could make.
Top 10 Most Popular U.S. Cities:
- New York City, NY
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Orlando, FL
- Chicago, Il
- San Francisco, CA
- San Diego, CA
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- Washington D.C., District of Columbia
- Charleston, SC
- New Orleans, LA
See where life takes you…without the worry.